October 22, 2013

A Trip To Washington Part 1

 Due to some changes that came about in life, Andy and I were able to squeeze a trip to Washington in to our busy schedules. I was really glad that we were able to make the trip, it had been two years since I been home.

We left on Sunday August 25th after church and stopped at my Dad's to sleep. The next day we drove from Rexburg, Idaho to Spokane, Washington--that is a long drive. Most of that stretch of the drive was through Montana and it rained a good portion of the way. We decided to stop for lunch in Dillon, Montana and found ourselves at Sparky's Garage. Andy and I consider ourselves to be food snobs and we both have to say that the food was so good! Those were seriously the best pulled pork sandwiches either of us have ever eaten.
While we were at Dad's, Russell asked us to take his picture with his friends.
We stopped to take a picture at the Continental Divide.

We now understand why Montana is known as the "Big Sky" state.

Andy at Sparky's.

While we were driving we noticed that the air had become really smokey. As came around a bend in the road, we saw a helicopter scoop water out of the river to dump on a nearby fire. It was a neat thing to watch.

Andy has wanted a bonsai tree for a really long time (once he even tried to grow his own). When we stopped in Missoula, Montana to get gas he noticed that someone was selling bonsai trees on the side of the road and he couldn't help but stop. Andy is now the proud owner of a bonsai tree.

That night we stayed with my Grandma and Grandpa. The next day Andy and Grandpa went golfing and Grandma and I went shopping. We all had a really good time and enjoyed being able to spend the with one another.

Andy wants everyone to know that he had his first Dilly Bar while we were at Grandma and Grandpa's house. It was a life changing event for him.

Before we left Grandma and Grandpa's house we were able to see my Aunt Michelle and Uncle Joe. I can't remember the last time I saw either of them, it was good to catch up.
Grandma and I.

Uncle Joe and Grandma-- He doesn't like to have his picture taken.

Tuesday night we had a slumber party with Nana and my cousin Casey. We taught Casey how to play Ticket to Ride Marklin, it is one of our favorite games. Casey enjoyed playing it so much that he wanted to play again. We enjoyed being able to visit with Nana and Casey. Before we left Nana's Uncle Aaron stopped by to say hi-- he is such a goof!
Andy, Me & Nana.

Us again.

Uncle Aaron's selfie.

Me, Nana, and Uncle Aaron. When I'm really happy my eyes almost close.

Me, Nana, Uncle Aaron & Casey. I'm not sure what Uncle Aaron was trying to do...

Me, Casey, Uncle Aaron & Nana.

Wednesday was spent driving from Spokane to Seattle. It was a really pretty drive. That night we crashed at my brother's house.

Thursday we wanted to go to the zoo and ride the camel and go kayaking with one of my friends. Unfortunately, it was raining so we not able to do any of that. Instead we found ourselves at the thrift store. We both love thrifting and had a great time. Later we met up with my friend Taylor and we went to eat at the Amerawcan Bistro in Tacoma. I really like to eat healthy food and there are not a lot a healthy restaurants in Utah, so we thought it would be fun to try something new. Andy's food was really good he ordered crepes. I ordered jicama tacos, they were okay but not my favorite. We also ordered some cheesecake, it was really good! It nice to try something new but I'm not sure I would eat there again, it was kind of expensive for the small serving sizes.

That night we went to the Rainiers game. As we were walking up to the box office to purchase our tickets this woman starting talking to me and said something about going to a nearby table for tickets and food and she handed me a piece of paper. Andy and I walked over to the table and these two women took the paper and asked what part of the stadium we wanted to sit in. I couldn't believe it, we chose seats that were behind home plate (this is Andy's favorite place to sit) and thirteen rows up. They also gave up passes for free hot dogs, chips, and drinks. I asked these two women if I could purchase two more tickets for my Dad (he was in town for work) and Taylor and they just gave me two more tickets and vouchers for food. Talk about the royal treatment, Andy and I felt so blessed.
Me & Andy. All of the people sitting behind us had already left.

During the game it started to rain, lucky for us our seats were covered. It was fun to watch the Rainiers played the Salt Lake Bees. I was hoping that the Rainiers would win, but they didn't pull through. Andy was kind of excited that the Bees won (they are his home team).